The then mayor of Brixen, Dr Zeno Giacomuzzi, and chief mayor Rudolf Schlichtinger signed the partnership document at a ceremony in the historical Imperial Hall in the Old Town Hall.
However, the links between the cities of Brixen and Regensburg began centuries earlier. The document that first mentions Brixen and proves the city to be the oldest in Tyrol, was issued in Regensburg. The document certifies the gift of the Prichsna court, which Louis the Child transferred to bishop Zachariah in 901 AD. The patronage of the Church of St. Cassiano also points to early links between the two cities. The church, which was first mentioned in a document in 885, bears the name of the patron saint of the diocese of Brixen/Säben.
In the year 1002, Henry II gave the bishop of Brixen a manor in Regensburg. The "Brixen Manor" (Brixener Hof), which still bears the coat of arms of the Brixen cathedral chapter today, served as a residence for the bishops during the state parliament sessions of the Bavarian duchy, which were held in Regensburg.